Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Solids and Liquids

I kicked off our "Solids and Liquids" science unit on Monday by asking students what they THINK they know about solids and liquids and what they are wondering (their "burning questions"). They had some great thoughts! After making our chart, I called students up to my table one by one to sort items into three categories--Solid, Liquid, or Not Sure. Students had to sort sand, salt, a plastic baggie, a tennis ball, corn syrup, shaving cream, popcorn kernels, a pretend piece of pizza, soda, applesauce, dice, and a Bingo chip. It was intriguing to watch their scientific brains at work! What a great pre-assessment. I will do the same activity AFTER the unit to check for understanding.
I love his perplexed look. He was really thinking about this!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment