Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Martin's Big Words


Today, your children impressed me, inspired me, and made me think. Each year, before or after Martin Luther King, Jr. day, I read the book Martin's Big Words. If you have not read this book, I recommend it. I always preface the book with some discussion and pre-learning about the civil rights movement. This year, we read the book The Story of Ruby Bridges and watched a video on BrainPopJr.com (see post below). We also had some discussion about segregation. 

As I read the book today, I watched your children's faces. They were a rapt audience--they were perfectly still and quiet. As I read and stopped to think aloud along the way, their hands popped up. Every single comment was relevant, thoughtful, and appropriate. It's refreshing to hear a six- or seven-year old's perspective on the civil rights movement. They just can't imagine why someone would be treated differently purely based on the color of one's skin. They compared those who believed in segregation to bullies, which is a topic Mrs. McCleary has been focusing on in her Guidance lessons. Many were shocked that anyone could stand by and watch such injustice happen in our world. They expressed thankfulness that things are different today. 

I am telling you this for two reasons. One, I think it's refreshing to see life through the eye's of a first grader. Second, I hope this is a discussion that you can continue with your child. We barely scraped the surface of the many topics that could spring from a simple discussion of Martin Luther King, Jr.

1 comment:

  1. Austin came home with so much information about MLK. I was so suprised on what he thought about this topic. We talked a little more about civil rights, Rosa Parks, Jewish people and Natzies. It was amazing to see his mind work like a sponge.

    Trish

    ReplyDelete