Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cooking in 1st Grade


I am now ready to begin cooking in first grade! I will need parent volunteers to make this happen, and several people indicated their interest on my volunteer sign-up sheet back at our first Open House. Parents of students who had Tracy Helfrich for kindergarten may already be familiar with the cooking program. Here are the basics:
  • Parents are required to make a cooking project happen. I will have a calendar out at Open House on October 8th to sign up for some days that work for you. You can do this once or several times! It's up to your schedule. I will also post a sign-up calendar on the Wiki, after the Open House.
  • Cooking activities can happen any day of the week from 2:00-3:00. I would like to limit our cooking activities to once per week at the most, though.
  • I would like cooking activities to relate to our current science/social studies themes or to a children's book that you and your child choose. I have a list of our themes posted on our class Wiki: http://mrssorensonfirstgrade.pbworks.com/ under the sidebar tab, "Classroom Themes."
  • Since the projects will happen at the end of the day, students may have to eat their treats the next day, unless you do a project that does not require baking or stove top cooking. If your recipe does require use of the school oven, I can arrange that. I will need to know in advance.
  • I prefer that parents bring all ingredients, measuring cups/spoons, mixing bowls, etc.
I can help with ideas, but please know that I am open to suggestions. I love getting ideas from others! I am excited to try this new, exciting activity in our classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment