Thursday, September 30, 2010

Book Shopping

This week, students learned to "shop" for their own books during Reading Workshop. I taught the lesson using a variety of shoes to model the concept of "good fit books." To summarize, we wear different shoes for different purposes and interests (sneakers for athletic activities, dressy shoes for formal events, boots for snow, etc.). We also choose shoes that fit us--other people's shoes often aren't the right fit for us! So, choosing shoes can be likened to choosing books--we choose books that fit our purpose and interests and they need to be a good fit (not too easy or too hard...just right). It was a fun lesson from one of my favorite professional books, The Daily Five. We learned the acronym "I PICK" to help us learn to choose books:

I PICK Good Fit Books
1. choose a book
2. Purpose – Why do I want to read it?
3. Interest – Does it interest me?
4. Comprehend – Am I understanding what I read?
5. Know – Do I know most of the words?

After being introduced to our leveled library, students "shopped" for books to put in their book bags for Reading Workshop. Here's some book shopping in action!





After book shopping, these students decided to read to our newly emerged butterfly! They were interested in watching it, so I suggested it might like to hear some great first grade reading. :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment