Monday, November 15, 2010

SWR Stations!

I am excited about the new SWR (word study) routine, and the students seem to like it too. Each Monday, I introduce our new skills. Today students practiced our newest red word, "said," and the latest word families-- "-ig" and "-id." We also practiced the letters/sounds that have been tricky--/g/ versus /j/ and /w/ vs. /y/. After the skill introduction, student break into four groups: 1. Teacher 2. Red Words 3. Word Families 4. Computer. At each station (aside from the teacher station), students can choose from a variety of activities to practice their SWR skills. Like I said in the post above, choice is GOOD! :-) Students will visit one SWR station each day (Monday-Thursday) and we take our "check up" on Friday (with GUM!!!!). This new routine allows me to differentiate learning tasks according to what each child needs, and it allows students to practice words in a way that works best for them.

Students are doing Word Ladders at my station...watch for this page to come home sometime this week. It's a fun way to practice phonics and vocabulary skills!
One of the options at the Word Family Station is using dice with letters on them to roll and try to build words. This was a choice last week too, since it was so popular!
Students can do "crayon resist" (crayon with watercolor paint over it) to add a little pizazz to red word practice. :-)
Using Unifix Cubes to build red words was a popular choice at the "Red Word" station today. :-)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I have been told about "gum fridays" and it is a big hit! As a matter of fact when we "play school" at home and I am Mrs. Sorenson I have to have gum available as a treat!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue,
    Thank you so much for sharing! I love it! I am glad to hear that Alex is excited about having gum with his SWR "check up." As I told the class, sometimes we need something fun to help is do a task that is not so fun but necessary. And if it helps our brains too, then that's even better! :-) Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete