Sunday, December 19, 2010

Beyond reading, writing, and arithmetic...

Looking at the pictures lately, you'd think all we do is play and do art all day! :-) Rest assured, that is not the case (but it would be fun, wouldn't it!?). We work hard and play hard in first grade. I try to get students up and moving a lot, as I believe the movement helps our brains learn more effectively and efficiently (and brain research supports this notion). I also try to incorporate as much free choice exploration time as possible. As I've mentioned before, we aren't always able to get outside for an extra recess now that the winter weather is here. The children seem to LOVE our free choice time between Math Workshop and Reading Workshop. They are always asking me to take out my camera and record what they've done, and they're disappointed when I forget my camera! And, without doubt, children are learning during these play periods--they are learning to negotiate, share, cooperate, solve problems...just to name a few skills!



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment